I executed the following preparation work:

1. Upgraded Mac OS X 10.3.1 to 10.3.4
2. Installed two additional security updates
3. Examined the status of the Xcode packages
pre-installed on the box Documentation states it is
Xcode 1.0 for Mac OS 10.3 Panther
4. I ran all installers except, CHUD, DevExamples,
cross-development and x11
5. I upgraded Xcode 1.0 to Xcode 1.1
6. Added FLAG options to a .config wrapper for
configure

Ran .config with the following results:
1. configure terminates with exit 0 (successful return
?)
2. Welcome message printed to terminal
3. Many error messages were logged, first and second
of shown below
4. Approximately 208 Makefiles were  created

What is the current state of the configure environment
- success as indicated by  the return code? But what
of these error messages?

Since the state of the Xcode environment may be
suspect, I wonder if it makes sense to flush it, and
start over with a clean setup - which of course raises
the question how to clean up the current environment
correctly in order to start over.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ron

configure:2913: checking for gcc option to accept ANSI
configure:2974: gcc  -c -O3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer
conftest.c >&5
configure:2977: $? = 0
configure:2980: test -s conftest.o
configure:2983: $? = 0
configure:3001: result: none needed
configure:3019: gcc -c -O3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer
conftest.c >&5
conftest.c:2: error: parse error before "me"
configure:3022: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| #ifndef __cplusplus
|   choke me
| #endif
.
.
.
configure:3586: gcc -c -O3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer
-felide-constructors -fno-exceptions
 -fno-rtti   conftest.cc >&5
configure: In function `int main()':
configure:3587: error: `exit' undeclared (first use
this function)
configure:3587: error: (Each undeclared identifier is
reported only once for
   each function it appears in.)
configure:3589: $? = 1
configure: failed program was: