[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> not exactly sure what you want but try using \G at the end of
> the select
> statements.
> Also try using UNION.
> e.g.
> select "Put your comment here","" UNION select field1, field2
> from table1
> group by field 1 \G
>
>  You may get something that will work for you by messing with these
> options combined with suppressing headers?
>
> Peter Keane
> Trocaire
> Maynooth
> Ireland
>
> "Richard Mixon \(qwest\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 27/07/2004
> 15:36:45:
>
>> Harald Fuchs wrote:

>>> I guess he's talking about the column headers produced by the
>>> "mysql" client program.  These can be suppressed by using "mysql
>>> -N".
>>
>> Michael/Harald,
>>
>> Thanks for the tip. But:
>>
>> 1) Yes, I am just issuing: SELECT "First comment ...";
>> and
>> 2) The problem is that instead of getting a single line of text
>> (i.e. my "annotation/comment"), I get many, for example the command
>> "select "COMMENT 3";" produces the following (even using the -N flag
>>   when I startup mySQL): --------------
>>   SELECT "COMMENT 3"
>>   --------------
>>
>>   +-----------+
>>   | COMMENT 3 |
>>   +-----------+
>>   1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>> The problem with "-N" is that is suppresses all of the headers. What
>> I really need is an "echo" or "print" command.
>>
>> The idea is to guide the reader of the mysql client output with some
>> comments. The SQL might look like the following:
>>   SELECT "The following output should only contain two rows for
>>   status ..."; SELECT status,count(*) FROM PoClass GROUP BY status;
>>   SELECT "The following output should only contain three rows for
>>   status ..."; SELECT status,count(*) FROM PoClassMeasurement GROUP
>> BY status;
>>
>> Thank you - Richard

Innovative idea, but does now quite do what I need. For the following
SQL input:
  SELECT "COMMENT 1",""
  UNION
  SELECT status,count(*) FROM PoClass GROUP BY status

I end up with this output, loosing (replacing actually) my column
headers:
--------------
SELECT "COMMENT 1","" UNION SELECT status,count(*) FROM PoClass GROUP BY
status
--------------

| COMMENT 1 |  |
| COMMENT 1 |  |
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

I'll either use the "AS" option or go to a scripting language.

Thanks  - Richard