Rick Dwyer wrote:
>> Assuming its not a super-high performance situation, I would put
>> everything on the RAID 1 volume.
>
> Richard, what would you define as super-high performance?  This MySQL
> database server will serve as the backend for a Lasso/ OS X Apache
> webserver handling thousands of hits per day.  Will installing OS and
> MySQL on the Mirrored Drive be within the scope of that type of
> activity?
>
> The database basically collects customer data.
>
> Thanks.
> Rick

Rick,
That's a little harder question. I'll go through a typical calculation,
but you'll have to adjust it for your situation.

1) It "sounds" like the typical database transactions are not that
intensive, basically storing info about a single customer. MySQL should
handle this in fractions of a second - even with everything on the same
harddrive - assuming you do not have lots of other conflicting
disk-intensive processes.

2) Let's say that your "thousands" is 10,000 customer add/updates per
day, evenly spread over a 10 hour day (36000 seconds). Obviously
customers do not evenly spread the load across the day, but initially
let's say they do.

3) If you divide 36000 seconds by 10,000 update requests you end up with
3.6 seconds per request.

4) Now the only think you have to factor in is how the load will
actually be distributed. You have to supply this intelligence, based on
your customer knowledge. For example, if your customers are all in a
single time zone and 90% of the updates happen during lunchtime your
hardware may not be up to it - 9,000 transactions in an hour.

I know this does not give you "the" answer you were looking for, but
hope it helps.

Sizing new hardware for an existing applications is not too bad if, you
can usually figure out how much more processor and disk IO you need to
buy. But for a new application, you really need to run some load testing
on comparable hardware before deployment. Basic load testing is not
hard, but it does take time. Really sophisticated load testing is a
whole discipline in itself, but it does not seem like you need this.

 - Richard