From: Cam
To: Mysql List
Sent: 7/30/04 12:06 PM
Subject: Grant problem

I'm running the scarab problem reporting system and and trying to grant
some privileges to a user and don't understand why it isn't working. I
have the following user that I can see in the USER table

mysql> select user,host,password,Insert_priv from user where
user='scarab' and host='localhost.localdomain';
+--------+-----------------------+------------------+-------------+
| user   | host                  | password         | Insert_priv |
+--------+-----------------------+------------------+-------------+
| scarab | localhost.localdomain | 6324f94c732accc0 | N           |
+--------+-----------------------+------------------+-------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Notice how this user has no insert priv and has a password.

If I now give the command

mysql> grant all privileges on scarab.* to
'scarab'@'localhost.localdomain' identified by 'secret';
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

Here comes my first question........ Why are there no rows affected?
Anyway I query the user table and see that the password has been changed
but the privileges have not.

mysql> select user,host,password,Insert_priv from user where
user='scarab' and host='localhost.localdomain';
+--------+-----------------------+------------------+-------------+
| user   | host                  | password         | Insert_priv |
+--------+-----------------------+------------------+-------------+
| scarab | localhost.localdomain | 428567f408994404 | N           |
+--------+-----------------------+------------------+-------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

I've tried several combinations and even 'flush privileges' although the
manual says that I don't have to.

The complete listing of the table goes something like

mysql> select user,host,password,Insert_priv from user;
+--------+-----------------------+------------------+-------------+
| user   | host                  | password         | Insert_priv |
+--------+-----------------------+------------------+-------------+
| root   | localhost             |                  | Y           |
| root   | kskLinux              |                  | Y           |
|        | localhost             |                  | N           |
|        | kskLinux              |                  | N           |
| scarab | localhost             | 6324f94c732accc0 | N           |
| scarab |                       |                  | N           |
| scarab | 127.0.0.1             |                  | N           |
| scarab | localhost.localdomain | 428567f408994404 | N           |
| scarab | %                     | 6324f94c732accc0 | N           |
+--------+-----------------------+------------------+-------------+
9 rows in set (0.03 sec)

So now, even though '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' has a password when I
login and don't give a password I get in!!!! see below.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# mysql -u scarab -h localhost.localdomain -p scarab
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 17 to server version: 4.0.20-log

If I try to give a password it fails.

Is there a precidence rule in effect here? I'm so confused. :(  what am
I doing wrong?

Cheers

Cam