Whil Hentzen wrote:

faild and locked up. I'm hoping it is no. 1 that happened. if so,
how do I get a command prompt after I start the server?

Did you end the command with a & character?

I've been looking through the doc, the --help file, and the messages in the archives, and I can't find a reference to what this & character _means_.

The first reference in the online hlep I've found was

2.3.1 Source Installation Overview
shell> bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &

and the second was

2.4.2 Unix Post-Installation Procedures
Verify that you can restart the server. Do this by using mysqld_safe or by invoking mysqld directly. For example: shell> bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql --log &

But the purpose "&" wasn't explained.

The "&" tells bash to fork the process into the background so you get your console / xterm back. If you don't use the "&" at the end, the mysqld_safe process will run in the foreground and will remain 'tied' to the console you started it from ... so if you close the console / xterm you may kill the mysqld_safe process.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer