At 18:29 -0500 8/1/04, Whil Hentzen wrote:
> >I've been looking through the doc, the --help file, and the messages in
 > the archives, and I can't find a reference to what this & character
 > _means_.

 The "&" tells bash to fork the process into the background so you get
 your console / xterm back. If you don't use the "&" at the end, the
 mysqld_safe process will run in the foreground and will remain 'tied' to
 the console you started it from ... so if you close the console / xterm
 you may kill the mysqld_safe process.

Ah, it's not part of the mysqld command itself. Got it.

Right. It's a process-control aspect of how the shell itself works.

The genesis of this in Unix is described in the "Process Control"
section of this document by Dennis Ritchie:

http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/hist.html

-- Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team Madison, Wisconsin, USA MySQL AB, www.mysql.com