i've got one master and one slave. the master is VERY busy, tons of inserts/updates/deletes all the time. (it's an extremely high traffic message board system.)

we've got a situation right now where the slave starts lagging WAY behind the master. it's as if it simply can't run through the binary log fast enough to keep up. both machines are identical hardware-wise, and very powerful (dual 3ghz P4, 4G RAM, 15K RPM scsi disks in RAID0+1). the slave does not show undue load or anything. mysql is the only process (besides normal linux stuff) running on both machines. disk is fine, cpu is fine. i don't know where to look next.

one of my developers says:

> The only thing I can think of is that on db2, we're running so many
> inserts/updates/deletes in parallel, while on db3 they have to run
> sequentially.  One set of long-running updates can hose up the whole
> queue.  Even if there's a series of 1-second updates that run on db2
> against a table that nobody else is accessing, that would add up on
> the db3 side.

(db2 is the master, db3 is the slave)

any ideas where to look for tuning/optimization? we've converted some of the highest contention tables to InnoDB. we may have to do more but these are big tables and it will take hours to convert them.

-jsd-