We're upgrading from 3.23.58 to 4.0.20 and found that that although the
ALTER test results of sql-bench had been greatly improved, CREATE has
shown nasty performance degradation.  Just before needing to make the
decision to revert back to 3.23.58, we found a post here where someone
had a similar problem when using SAN storage.  We see the problem using
hardware RAID, shared storage or local SCSI disks.

The machine in question is a 3ghz, 4GB RAM, reiserfs.  The data and
application reside on local SCSI disks, 10k rpm. All installations are
the MySQL provided linux-binary (x86), Standard releases.

Here is an excerpt of sql-bench results:

Test                            A    B    C     D    E
alter_table_add                60    2    6     8    8
alter_table_drop               43    1    5     8    8
create+drop                    12   11   11   240  223
create_MANY_tables             10   11   10   220  228
create_index                    1    1    1     1    1
create_key+drop                14   15   15   231  221
create_table                    0    0    0     0    0
select_1_row                    0    8    8     8    9
select_2_rows                   1    9    9     9    9
select_column+column            1    9    9     9    9
select_group_when_MANY_tables   5    9   11    10   10

Column A is MySQL 3.23.58
Column B is MySQL 4.0.15
Column C is MySQL 4.0.16
Column D is MySQL 4.0.17
Column E is MySQL 4.0.20

The biggest problem is the create set.  That's a HUGE difference in the
exact same hardware.  Thoughts?

-J