On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 14:57, Tinley, Jeremy wrote:
> We're upgrading from 3.23.58 to 4.0.20 and found that that although the
> ALTER test results of sql-bench had been greatly improved, CREATE has
> shown nasty performance degradation.  Just before needing to make the
> decision to revert back to 3.23.58, we found a post here where someone
> had a similar problem when using SAN storage.  We see the problem using
> hardware RAID, shared storage or local SCSI disks.
>
> The machine in question is a 3ghz, 4GB RAM, reiserfs.  The data and
> application reside on local SCSI disks, 10k rpm. All installations are
> the MySQL provided linux-binary (x86), Standard releases.

Hi,

This is the known issue.
In MySQL 4.0.17  calling fsync() on frm files was added during table
creation. This was done so create table is more durable if used with
transactional tables such as Innodb.   It however affects all tables at
this point.

In most cases new tables are created rarely so it is not the problem,
if it is for you case  --skip-sync-frm option can be used to avoid such
behavior.

On other hand B->C changes for some tests surprise me. Are the results
stable if you repeat the run ?  In some cases especially for short tests
deviation can be pretty large.

--
Peter Zaitsev, Senior Support Engineer
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com