Quick question if anyone can help.

I was reading through the manual and it states something about the character
sets being different from mysql version 4 to version 4.1.1

We have just upgraded from 4 to version 4.1.1 and are having problems with
accent characters on our database table. Some fields import with the correct
characters yet the one field called description of type TEXT does not insert
with the characters instead it puts a ? in its place.

Could the effect of this from the manual:
-----------------
Finally, there is a different file format for storing information about
character sets and collations. Make sure that you have reinstalled the
Œ/share/mysql/charsets/¹ directory
containing the new configuration files.
------------------

Cause this to happen?