> Thanks for the two responses.
>
> William Mussatto said:
>> Are you running mod_perl?
>
> Yes I am, with Perl 5.8.3.
>
> Victor Pendleton said:
>> What does mysql "show processlist" look like?
>
> Here is what it looks like currently, but the system is not in its
> "unresponsive" phase right now.  I can't force it to go all wonky on me,
> it will probably be tomorrow before the process count explodes again.
>
> +----+---------+-----------+---------+---------+------+-------+------------------+
> | Id | User    | Host      | db      | Command | Time | State | Info

> +----+---------+-----------+---------+---------+------+-------+------------------+
> |  8 | citidel | localhost | citidel | Sleep   | 0    |       | NULL

> | 71 | citidel | localhost | citidel | Sleep   | 2192 |       | NULL

> | 72 | citidel | localhost | citidel | Sleep   | 2141 |       | NULL

> | 78 | citidel | localhost | citidel | Sleep   | 1503 |       | NULL

> | 79 | citidel | localhost | citidel | Sleep   | 1503 |       | NULL

> | 87 | citidel | localhost | citidel | Sleep   | 741  |       | NULL

> | 88 | citidel | localhost | citidel | Sleep   | 730  |       | NULL

> | 89 | citidel | localhost | citidel | Sleep   | 607  |       | NULL

> | 95 | citidel | localhost | citidel | Query   | 0    | NULL  | show
> processlist |
> +----+---------+-----------+---------+---------+------+-------+-----------------
>

> Ryan Richardson said:

While I am not a mod_perl expert it does create a connection for each
child.  I'm not clear on the pooling of these connections but you might
check the number of apache children next time it goes un-responsive.  Do
each of your perl scripts include an explicit ' $dbh->disconnect;'?  That
may be needed to return things to the pool.  You might also make sure that
the $dbh is 'my'ed and that its scope is less than the entire program.
For example putting it inside of set of { } and ensuring that the program
flow falls out the bottom so the $dbh goes out of scope.  I run in a
multi-virtual host environment so mod_perl is conter productive for us so
my experience is limited.  I'd look at mod_perl and $dbh connection
pooling on google.  I'd be interested in what you find.  We have a php
mail system and I've had to increase the number of connections because of
its connection pooling.

--
William R. Mussatto, Senior Systems Engineer
Ph. 909-920-9154 ext. 27