Another use for binary columns is for case-sensitive text such as passwords. If you store text in a CHAR, VARCHAR, or TEXT column, comparisons will not be case-sensitive unless you use the BINARY keyword. An example (from section 6.3.22 of the Language Reference:

mysql> SELECT "a" = "A";
        -> 1
mysql> SELECT BINARY "a" = "A";
        -> 0