In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
sean c peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Im considering a design that mixes InnoDB and MyISAM tables. I want Innodb for
> speed, etc, but i have one table where i want a column to have a FULLTEXT
> index on. Thus the need for MyISAM.

> Im not worried about the performance in using the MyISAM tables, as we speak,
> the production version of the system is using MyISAM tables without problems.

> The main concern is that by using a MyISAM table, i lose foreign key support,
> and cannot do a cascade on delete, which i'd really like to have, and not
> have to manually mimic the cascade behaviour.
> I suppose i've gotten along fine without having foreign key support for a
> number of years, so this probably isnt that bad.

> Anyone else run into similar issues?
> Any thoughts?

I'm using InnoDB almost exclusively because of the referential
integrity it provides.  I have only one table where I need a fulltext
index.  For that I split the table: almost all columns are in a InnoDB
table, and the columns for the fulltext index, along with a copy of
the primary key, are in a MyISAM table.  I never use these tables
alone; instead I always use

  tbl_InnoDB INNER JOIN tbl_MyISAM USING (pkey)

This should somewhat protect me from the referential integrity
problems introduced by using MyISAM.