Well, what it really requires is for someone to look up the rule used for audio streams in MPEG2 files. There must be some sort of rule, otherwise stand alone DVD players and HDTVs would get it wrong. In my (limited) testing, DVDs appear to follow a pattern of the highest numbered track that meets the desired number of channels. However, it's possible there's some sort of flag to indicate this.

Interesting. I was debugging some mplayer cases where the most recent version kept picking the wrong audio track and the lower number track was definitely the one I wanted. The track I wanted was always one of the first to come up from the mplayer scan though...

In some cases I was getting a foreign audio track so the first test must be to check the two digit language flag on the audio stream. However, I sometimes get the directors commentary instead of the normal audio track (I think both must be 5.1 audio? Not tested though). Not sure how to detect this.

I would be interested to find out a little more about these "rules"...

All the above is talking about DVD's...