Andrew Wilson wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of problems on audio using XVMC. I'm using 0.18, and
the description below applies to that. CVS of about a week ago (last
time I tried it) was unusable as the audio was awful.

When I turn off XVMC VLD hardware decoder, the M10k can't keep up.
However, I found that if I turn off deinterlacing then it can keep up
OK.. ~12% idle. Nearly all audio problems go away with this setup, and
I'm tempted just to leave it at this setting as it's perfectly
watchable.

I'd much rather use xvmc though, mainly because I can slow the M10k
down to 600MHz and reduce the temperatures and fan speeds to an
acceptable level. It's also just wrong not to use the hardware
decoding when I've paid for it :-)

The audio problem I'm hearing is hard to describe. It sounds like
during each small chunk of audio, perhaps 250 millisecs, some
fragments are being repeated 2 or 3 times and others omitted.

Does this square with what other folks are seeing?

Is there anything I can usefully do to help in debugging this stuff?
I'd be more that glad to help.

I suspect that this is because MythTv has not been compiled with MMX support. The changes recently made to MythTv's configuration system has changed the way CPU's are recognised/setup. I have found a similar problem to yours if MMX is not enabled.

I use a configuration line of:
configure --prefix=/usr --enable-xvmc-vld --cpu=i686 --enable-dvb-eit --enable-dvb --dvb-path=/data/src/MythTv/include; qmake mythtv.pro

Also there are major Audio/Video sync problems when XvMC VLD
is used on certain channels that contain multiple Audio channels.
You have to set "HW Decoder" for each of your DVB-T capture cards to
work around this bug.

Note that I ma using MythTV CVS date 2005-04-23. Versions after that
date do have probems due to the fact that the new Xv/XvMC merge code
has not stabalised yet.

Terry