I should have just tried it before writing... I opened up another port and now have mythstreamtv working. Cool! On my Linux box I could only get it to play in the VLC client, using the mmsh:// syntax. Couldn't get it to work with xine v0.99.3 (just hangs). Same with mplayer, but I have a recent version (1.0pre6-3.4.2). Problem is, the quality in VLC is quite poor no matter which codec or bitrate I choose - very blocky and poor quality audio. I also tried it on an XP box using WMP, and the quality is perfect! Huge difference. Problem is, I'm usually sitting at a Linux machine.

Mike Jasper wrote:
I should have mentioned that I already hardcoded the absolute path to vlc in mythstreamtv.sh. The problem was that I had chown'd the old stream directory to apache.apache, forgetting to do the new one under /var/www. However, I am still having trouble. Is it ok to use the same port that I use for httpd (nonstandard, 12984, really for mythweb only), or do I need to open up another port? Here is my log output. Thanks for your help.

/var/www/html/stream/mythstreamtv.sh: line 26: pidof: command not found
Starting Stream of 1037_20050120040000_20050120050000.nuv
VLC media player 0.8.1 Janus
[00000195] dummy interface: Using the dummy interface module...
[00000201] main private: creating httpd
[00000201] main private error: cannot bind socket
[00000201] access_output_http private error: cannot listen on :12984
[00000200] stream_out_standard private error: no suitable sout access module for `mmsh/asfh://:12984'
[00000198] stream_out_transcode private error: cannot create chain
[00000197] main stream output error: stream chained failed for `transcode{vcodec=WMV2,acodec=mp3,vb=256,ab=64,scale=.5}:std{access=mmsh,mux=asfh,url=:12984}'

[00000196] main input error: cannot start stream output instance, aborting

David Whyte wrote:

Are you sure the stream has actually begun.  A number of people have
come across an issue where vlc will not begin because it cannot be
found in the classpath for the user apache.

Do a 'which vlc' then make sure the path you get is in the
mytstreamtv.sh script.

If not, use the output of the logs to try and help

HTH's
Dave