Tostman wrote in reply to me:
Paul(or anyone),

Did you ever find whether the on-board video/TV-out of your MS-6215 (Chrontel CH-7007A video encoder, Intel 82801BA graphics, Intel 815 chipset), worked ok with MythTv ?

I have the i865G chipset on my myth box with the Chrontel chip described above. My board has vga, RCA, s-video, and dvi options for video out. In linux, I have only been able to get the vga (obviously) and RCA output to work. The cavet with the RCA out is that the vga connector can't be plugged in at boot (or after) if you want the TV out.

I have been unable to verfiy whether the dvi plug works the same way as the RCA (no way to test), but the s-video seems to be worthless in linux.

It should be noted that the optical out works nicely if that is included in your chipset.

-- Travis

Thanks, Travis. My motherboard only supports RCA and S-video with only the former an option for me. Not having the latest distribution of linux or mythtv around or spare hardware, I booted up the system with the hard disk from my regular PC. The default video output (displayed for fiddling the bios) and that displayed under Windows 95 was rather disappointing. The mother board can be jumpered to support either PAL or NTSC so I tried both with a dual system TV. The PAL output wasn't even synchronised properly with my monitor. Lest you say its my monitor, well the monitor is quite happy to display PAL the rest of the time. NTSC was a lot better, but the picture was being displayed only took up the centre of the monitor with quite a lot of area left out. I was expecting the encoder have some reasonable defaults-- is there any reason to expect that myth can do better here or upgrading the mb firmware will make a difference.

Another potential problem is whether the motherboard will be happy with a
large hard disk.
I tried with a small 20GB disk and Win2K had problem finding itself -
although Win95 further down the disk was happy enough. I thought you could
move disks between systems - is that not always the case?

BTW, does your chipset include the 82815 ? I have no idea whether this would
be an issue with the graphic chip or encoder.

Thanks,

Andrew