Phill Edwards wrote:

I had similar issues and what I did was reduce the resolution (the card
really doesn't capture above 384x256 or something like that) and
increase the bitrate (I'm using MPEG-4 for my case). The lower
resolution should look just as good and the increased quality should
result in much better viewing of dark shows without increasing file sizes.

Now that's interesting. I'm recording at 480x480 on some pretty basic
bt8x8 cards and would like to bump up bit rates but don't want to chew
up the CPU. How can I find out what the max recording resolution is
for my cards so I can reduce it to that to free up some CPU to
increase the bit rate?

I thought someone posted this to the list a while back, but looking through the support docs on haupaugge's website, their FAQ on capturing pretty much talks only about capture at 320x240 which may or may not be the theoretical "max" that you need but it sure lends some credence to the argument:

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/faq/support_faq_pci_videocapture.html

Kevin