Well I have upgraded kernals multiple times, what you have to do is
just uninstall the old kernal module, and install the one for the
current kernel

normally this command will do both

#apt-get install nvidia-graphics6629-kmdl-$KVER

it will uninstall the kernal module for the previous kernel and
install the one for the current one in use