Aside my from my main question above (about using a different PC to do
the PoweStrip thing).

What is the relationship between modelines? I have found a 720x480
modeline that looks awesome (other than the virtual desktop thing,
which I can manually change with xrandr).

Is there a way to interpret the specs of one modeline into good specs
for a different (larger res) modeline.

The one that works (from Linux HTPC How-To) is:
ModeLine "NTSC-DVD-60p" 26.964 720 760 816 856 480 482 488 525
from the DTV-PCTweakedModes section

Can I use this to decipher an appropriate modeline for a 960x540
resolution for a little more real estate? Via S-Video I am running at
1024x768 (stretched by my Panny) and things are a hair small, so I
reckon 960x540 would be sweet, and my TV can do 1080i modes, so the
540p in theory should be do-able.

Thanks

Robin