On 2/12/2005 4:12 PM, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

My current setup is a Zenith c32v37 HDTV with an integrated ATSC (and
QAM) tuner. I just put a ChannelMaster 4228 in the attic, and my OTA
reception is now pretty good but I have large signal fluctuations on
some stations at times. The signal meter seems to jump from 90% to
30% and back in a few seconds on the problem station.

I have had the same thing with an HD-2000 with a Radio Shack U75 (75mile UHF) antenna mounted on my roof. I have a station that is so strong I should be able to pick it up with a paperclip. With the HD-2000 the signal strength would swing from 88% to 30-40%. I moved the antenna and the situation improved, but that meant only receiving 3 of the 6 local digital stations. If I moved the antenna to pick up the other three my signals would fluctuate again. So I put an Air2PC in a slave backend and tried with those. And without moving the antennas, the signal on the Air2PC is much better. I'm not sure you can directly compare signal strength meters, but the Air2PC reports a signal strength about 8% stronger on my full power stations, and about 20-30% stronger on the low-power stations (the low power are 300kw about 4 miles away I think), the full power are 1,000kw about 20 miles away.

I realize I am using a cheap antenna (only $9), but all my stations line up and I wanted the highly directional antenna to try to reduce multipath. Actually they will line up when the low-power stations finish building their permanent facilities. Right now I have 3 stations in one direction and 3 in another (about 45degrees separation).

I do second what others have said though. The antenna will work much better outside. I read a study once on just how bad multipath with 8VSB is. Anything you can do to improve what the antenna "sees" will probably help greatly.

In other threads, I've heard things like the air2pc pulled in stations
that the pcHDTV-3000 did not. But were those weak signals stable?

My "weak" signals are very stable. The signal-to-noise ration isn't has good as the strong stations, but the real test is how they look when watching the program. I only record a few programs per week from these stations, but they look great. The only difference is, about once every few shows I will get a minor signal glitch that causes the video to go "blocky" for about 2 seconds or so.

Which does better for reasonably strong stations with multipath?

I haven't tested the HD-3000 as much as the others. I have one, but I was using the HD-2000 in my production system, and went directly to the Air2PC cards.

How about the DVICO cards?

They aren't supported.

Another newbie question is: Do all the HDTV tuner cards dump a full
mpeg2 stream (including audio), or do some of them require a connection
to a sound card to capture audio?

The audio is in the MPEG2 stream. None of the supported HDTV cards require a connection to the sound card. However, the HD-2000 and HD-3000 have an NTSC section which can use a connection to a sound card. The HD-3000 even has video/audio inputs on the card for capturing from an STB which neither the HD-2000 nor the Air2PC has. Frankly I don't care about this, because it isn't MPEG2. I would rather capture those into a PVR-250 or something, mostly because it uses less system CPU.

--
David