Michael J. Lynch wrote:

Jeroen Brosens wrote:

<snip>

I must disappoint you here; first of all I have massive respect to Thomas Winischhofer, the developer/maintainer of the X driver for SiS chipsets, he has a well documented website on which he elaboralety describes every driver option that he squeezed out of the SiS chips. In the FAQ however, I only recently stumbled upon this:

    * Q: Why does output of interlaced video via TV show a "comb-like"
      "interlace"-effect? If the source material is interlaced and the
      TV output is interlaced, shouldn't this match?
    * A: CRT2 does not support interlace. Therefore, the driver can't
      feed interlaced output into the video bridge (which handles TV
      output, be it a SiS video bridge, be it a Chrontel TV encoder).
      The video bridge can only convert a progressive scan
      (=non-interlaced) input into TV-suitable interlaced output. The
      driver can neither change this nor control which of the frames
      sent to the bridge is the even/odd field. Long story short: If
      you want to output interlaced material on your TV without using
      a software de-interlacer, you need to add a proper Modeline for
      interlaced PAL/NTSC timing (easily found on the internet) and an
      external VGA-to-TV converter connected to CRT1. Otherwise you
      have to use a software de-interlacer.

You have to acknowledge that is is a Very Bad Thing®. What I said about the interlaced material is not entirely true, but the result is still not quite useful. Damn bastards @ SiS. Oh well.

Cory, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Jeroen has mis-interpreted the answer
here. It does *not* say that TV-OUT does not do interlace mode. It says that
CRT2 doesn't support feeding interlace to the the TV encoder. That has nothing
to do with whether or not TV-OUT then interlaces output.

OK true; of course everything coming out of a TV-out is interlaced, nothing doubtful there. But it seems it can't tell field sync etc. from the signal that is being fed to the video bridge. And therefore I must either use the bob deinterlacer (others suck because they don't give full frame rate) but it, well, bobs (vertical jitter due to goin out of vsync every now and then). Maybe when my VGA-SCART cable works with X everything is sorted, but I will have to find a proper modeline for that.

-- Jeroen