On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 12:52:04PM -0500, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 February 2005 12:45 pm, Joe Barnhart wrote:
> > --- Isaac Richards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > So, quit bitching and just use cvs.
> >
> > Which brings up a question.
> >
> > Why even HAVE releases like 0.17 if there is no
> > attempt to make them "stable" for those who wish to
> > use their MythTv boxes like an appliance?  Projects
> > ordinarily try to make a stable release for those who
> > don't want to be on the bleeding edge of progress.  If
> > the answer is always "use CVS" then why is there a
> > release at all?
>
> All a release is is a snapshot of cvs at the time of the release.  Nothing
> more.  I make no guarantees as to its stability.  I certainly don't consider
> this particular issue to be a major bug or anything which would make me
> consider going back and spending several hours putting out a new release just
> to fix it.

I also experienced the "crash frontend while attempting delete" bug
very briefly, but I thought it was somethign else.  It was short lived,
but I was upgrading frequently from CVS at the time.

If the snapshot in the release has a "crash on delete" bug I would put that
in the major class.

(But it's not nearly so bad as "crash when tuning to a low signal channel"
which was the case in 0.16/pchdtv 1.3 and my first experience of MythTV.)

I do think their case is compelling.  I believe a good approach, which I
know you have said you don't like, would be to take a snapshot at a good
time, put it out as 0.17-rc, tag it in CVS, and then apply only bug
fixes to that branch of CVS while continuing the main branch.  Then,
after a while, release 0.17 for the atrpms and knoppmyths of the world.

Using CVS is not a good alternative for many users.  Leave aside
that not all are at the skill level to do it, a live CVS is
deliberately unstable.  Bugs can be introduced one day that majorly
break things, ideally fixed very quickly but at any time they can be
there.

One idea that might make sense is to have somebody track when serious
bug reports are low, and throw tags into the cvs server to declare that
point a suitable testing release.