Hi.

> > Finally, I have it here. I've installed debian sid, installed
> > another pci
> > ethernet card (damn, I can't configure the motherboard one)

[compiling 3c59x]

3c59x? But I thought it was another chipset. Looking at lspci now I see that
you must be right, but there are lots of docs in google that have been
confusing me. Thanks for this.

> Oh fwiw I'd recommend updating to the latest bios if you haven't already I
> found it made a lot of difference to the sound level of the fan.

Well, yes... But I've seen a recent thread here about that and there was a
story about a nearly dead bios. I'm not sure that I want to take that risk,
I've never updated any bios. Anyway I haven't checked yet what version is my
bios. Another point is that this machine will be linux-only. I could take a
partition and install a w98 only for this, but... is it worth the effort?
This is very quiet already, although perhaps when everything is working and
the cpu hot, I'll hear the real fan.

 Alberto