I had the same problem.  I think I fixed it by adding

alias msp3400-ivtv msp3400

near the beginning of my /etc/modprobe.conf file, but I'm not sure.
I'm not at home right now, but when I get home, I'll check my notes.

I fixed this around the same time that I switched to alsa 1.08 and
Myth 0.17, so if you're not using these, you might try upgrading.

- emory