I have had very good success with dd -> .iso and then playing with
xine.  And it has worked with every disk except one odd problem.

The disk "Escape from New York"  fast forwards at almost every scene
change for no reason.  (you don't know how bummed I was that this
happens)  I can slow it down to regular speed after it does this, but
who wants to watch a movie like that.  Don't know if it is copy
protection related.

Also, I use to have a old teac cd-rom that would read disks that
others would not.  It was magic so I believe that hardware could a
solution.

Dan Littlejohn