On Wednesday 09 March 2005 12:03, Michael Haan wrote:
> The next morning?  My 3800+ has it ready the next hour!

Heh. I can have a sub-1GHz machine ready in the next 15 minutes w/FC3. :-)

> Anyway, I
> agree with Craig.  I haven't yet decalred my gentoo-myth install
> final, but I've been at this for two months now, installing on SuSE
> 9.1/9.2, FC3 and Gentoo.  The Gentoo OS install has taken longer, but
> once I get past that I emerge a few packages and *boom* - a working
> myth install.  With other distros it's pre-req hell this, bombed
> compile that - very painful.

I think Gentoo is a great learning tool, but a pain if you have multiple
systems to configure similarly and/or anything slower than 3GHz (yes, I know
about distcc). I didn't care for the suffering enough to keep using Gentoo,
but had fun with it. Definitely much easier than LFS.

> I will say that I was not able to use
> apt-get install method with FC3 (because I'm running AMD64), so that
> may change things.

Known problem with apt, it doesn't support biarch systems at all well. On
non-x86_64 systems, there are rarely if ever any "pre-req hell this, bombed
compile that" problems. And both yum and smart do work on x86_64.

--
Jarod Wilson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]