Morten,

Depends a lot on your primary use. I don't think many 5500 (and higher) cards are passively cooled, so they'll probably be louder than a passively-cooled 5200. If all you want to do is (HD)TV playback, the 5200 seems to be a great choice (based on others' comments). If you want to do more, then a 5500 (or better) might be the ticket.

For example:

For ME, I wanted a QUIET card (for MythTV watching), but one with enough power to run recent games well. I wound up going with an MSI GeForce 6600GT/AGP model NX6600GT-VTD128 (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-127-150&depa=0). I CAN vouch for the quietness (it's completely swamped by my case/PS fans), but I don't yet have MythTV fully operational, so I can't comment on the speed/capabilities. I don't play a lot of commercial games, but it's great for Racer (http://www.racer.nl/).

Personally, I'd DEFINITELY stick to nVidia cards under Linux, at least for now. From other posts, ATI is still a ways behind on their Linux drivers.

So think about what you want it for and go from there...

Good luck,

Alan

Morten Rønseth wrote:

Ok, thanks all!

So bottom line is, it's a great card for mythtv use.

But, would I be better off getting an fx 5500? Is it worth putting the extra money into a 256MB version rather than a 128MB? Would an MSI card be a good choice?

How hard is it to get TV out going?
I've given up on my Radeon 7000 card, cannot make tv out work under Mandrake 10.1 (I've tried all the drivers - radeon, ati.2, ...) its just beyond me.

Thanks again, this list is great help!

Cheers,

-Morten