On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 11:17:10AM -0500, Brian Boyle wrote:
> Has anyone ever used the spdif digital audio output on a
> motherboard?  I have an asus a8v deluxe that uses a Via8237 audio
> chipset. I would like to use the digital out but the Myth volume
> controls are not working on the digital out. It works fine using the
> analog IE: using the myth volume up and down changes the level. But
> when I use the digital I get the full volume and no way to control
> it.
>
> I believe this is due to not having a fancy pants asoundrc file that
> is specific to the sound card I am using but I can't find one
> anywhere. If anyone has done this before I would appreciate any help
> you may be able to give me.

I have a Soltek SL-K8TPro-939 motherboard with the same audio chipset.
The digital out works fine, but as you say the volume control (neither
Myth interval volume control, nor external ALSA programs) doesn't seem
to be working. In my setup, however, I don't think I'm getting full
volume either (I always have to crank up my audio receiver).

I also don't have any kind of asoundrc file anywhere, so I'm willing
to believe I have an incomplete setup. Pretty low on my list of things
to get working, though.

--Rob