are not working on the digital out. It works fine using the analog IE:
using the myth volume up and down changes the level. But when I use the
digital I get the full volume and no way to control it.

I'm thought S/PDIF is always at maximum volume (or better: there is no volume). At least my EPIA is also always on fixed volume, and I use my amps volumeknob to change the level.

since SPDIF sends the raw PCM stream, I'd guess the only way to adjust the volume would be to resample or scale the bits on the fly - sounds unlikely. I could easily be wrong :)

I'm sending SPDIF to my amp - which has a remote control volume knob...

I'm using SPDIF on the Soundblaster Audigy. Controlled by ALSA. Volume control works for me. I don't have to mess with the amp. The driver probably just changes the amplitude before converting it to a digital stream out the SPDIF.

- James