Hi Bryan,

On 5/20/05, Bryan Lockwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I hope it's not presumptuous to ask – can anyone provide definitive
> information on what hardware and driver combinations do/don't support Closed
> Captioning (both when streaming live TV and when watching pre recorded
> video)? I've done a lot of googling on the subject, and ended up with a
> mishmash of sort-of-conflicting information!
> I'm very much looking forward to getting my MythTV setup (0.18, ivtv 0.3.4u,
> pvr250) off the workbench and into the livingroom, but my ears, they don't
> work
> so good! So CC is a must here.

I've filled in some of the information I know.

To answer your question, there isn't really much of anything you can
do yet to get working CC in prerecorded and live programming. (get a
VCR or DVD recorder0

A bttv based card will pass out a VBI stream that MythTV can decode
during Live TV, but it is not (AFAIK) recorded by Myth.

CC support does not entirely work in IVTV -- if it did, it would be
irrelevant whether or not Myth supports it if you have a PVR-350
because if you set IVTV to include the CC data in the MPEG datastream,
and set the decoder part to pass it back out, you can enable CC on
your TV and it will come through.

However, as I said, it still doesn't quite work and you will just get
a scrambled mess.

I would say a PVR-350 is your best bet, when (if?) IVTV gets the
closed captioning issues sorted out.

--
Ian Trider
[EMAIL PROTECTED]