>You've  got channels in the OSG? you have your video source set to use
>them?

This I do not know. (Am pretty new to the whole MythTV thing). How do I
tell?

I am having some issues getting mythfilldatabase to work but given that I am
trying these tests on the command line I figured that this probably isn't a
problem (yet).

Well, you've answered your own question then. You need mythfilldatabase to
set the channels up so the hardware knows what changing the channel
does/means. Go concentrate on your favorite howto source  for
mythfilldatabase  and once you get that running clean, you should be all
set. You've done the hardest part, getting the 350 output working. The rest
should be simple.