On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 08:08:08PM -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> >Hello.  I did an apt-get update; apt-get upgrade today and now my
> >system is borked.

I'd love to know the etymology of that word.  Wikipedia says "possibly"
related to the Swedish Chef (which was the first thing I thought of),
although it could be an homage to the failed nomination of Robert Bork
to the US Supreme Court.

> Word to the wise (and I'm sure this doesn't help you much now), but I
> think you're much better off keeping to the "if it ain't broke dont' fix
> it" philosophy with the underlying components that MythTV relies on such
> as the OS, QT, drivers, etc.  Unless you had some reason to upgrade
> every component in your system at once, I'd say, leave well enough alone.

Debian recently switched from XFree86 to XOrg.  I updated one of my
front-end machines and it was such a hassle I left the other one alone.
The problem is pretty deep in the lib dependencies - to get from one
version of X to the other basically required uninstalling MythTV and
then reinstalling again.

FWIW, I *never* *EVER* do "apt-get upgrade".  It's just too dangerous
to allow an automated tool make that many changes without knowing in
advance what's going to happen.  As maligned as it is, I prefer to use
dselect to view the impact of upgrades so I can hold back changes that
would cause applications to be uninstalled due to missing dependencies
(which often happens on testing/unstable because the apps and libraries
don't get committed together).  I still use apt-get to install
individual packages.