Mark Knecht wrote:

I'm a Gentoo user...

I have Gentoo running two backend server, 4 frontend only boxes, and a
couple more PCs where I occasionally watch TV. I run Celeron, P4-HT,
Athlon and AMD64 systems. They all work great.

I've been using Gentoo for a couple of years now. It's great never
having to make the FC1/FC2/FC3/FC4/FC5/FC6 jumps. Gentoo boxes are
always s up to date as you want them to be. No worrying about where
the next RPM is coming from. You just build code every so often.

NOTE: I am not a computer scientist. I am not an IT guy. I do not
program. I can run Gentoo and so can anyone willing to invest a little
bit of time to learn how the system works. It's very a solid
environment with relatively few wrinkles.

- Mark
A little bit of time? Don't you mean alot of time compiling? I have tried Gentoo and the compiling of *everything* takes forever. I have yet to find a pre-compiled install that at least gets me going with the basic xwindows, gnome and/or KDE. I don't mind compiling some things, but even on my P4-3GhzHT, it would have taken several DAYS to compile KDE and its tools -- Have I missed something or do they have pre-compiled packages hiding somewhere??

Norm