Dewey Smolka wrote:

At this point, it takes me only an hour or two to set up a Knoppmyth
machine, while one based on Fedora takes the better part of a day. But
my first attempt at MythTV, through Knoppmyth, took me more than a
week to get running, and several weeks before I had it running how I
wanted.

Oh boy doesn't that strike a chord with me right now! I have had mythtv working, in 'test' mode on a Mandriva box for a while, and about a week ago, I setup a Knoppmyth box. I am at the peak of frustration with a few issues right now, and I hope I can see some light emerging at the end of the proverbial tunnel. But it's 3 steps forward, 2 steps back, so much of the time.

How about this example this morning? I recently got my remote working. It's a Twinhan USB remote that looks like a second keyboard to linux. Remapped a few keys and it works. BUT, this morning I rebooted the computer, and the main keyboard doesn't work. I unplugged the USB remote/keyboard and rebooted, and now the main keyboard works. Looks like it decided to not bother with the real keyboard when it found the USB one as it booted. (when I was using the remote before, I just plugged it into the USB without a reboot, and that left both working--- until the reboot)

As I expected, a lot of my frustration is at the lack of tools. Not being a super-linux-guru, I didn't know the command line ways to do certain things that are all done with a nice GUI in Mandriva and other full distributions. Installing a file manager (mc) is something I should have done straight away, as is turning on nfs and sharing all important directories out to my Mandriva computer. Getting mythweb running has also helped.
I wonder if I should install VNC or something like it?

Anyway,  learning lots of stuff as I go....