On Friday 04 November 2005 10:21 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>     Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 22:06:32 -0500
>     From: Isaac Richards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>     You got 'burned' because you didn't even _look_ at the capture card
> list after setting up any of your cards.  All the device paths that have
> been setup are on that list.  They're also in the input connections list.
> You didn't notice, is all.
>
> I -did- look.  I failed to notice what was going on, especially since
> there are lots of 0's that are correct---just not those /dev/video0's.

There's nothing on that page besides the pathnames + device types.  Slightly
difficult to miss.

> As I've said before, you're too close to realize that there's a whole
> lot of information whizzing by in this interface, and that -you-, as an
> expert, know exactly where to direct your attention to avoid problems.
> On the other hand, I, as nonexpert, did not.

Then why are you still arguing, if you think my opinion's not valid?

>     Ok, I'll dare.  In some cases (if you wanted to setup the analog + hd
> parts of a hdX000, which doesn't quite work right yet), duplicate paths
> could be right.  I see no reason to disallow this.
>
> Okay, then do you see no reason to have it put up a big fat warning
> saying, "You're probably doing the wrong thing!  Are you sure?"  That
> was my original suggestion, if you'll recall.  That -one- check would
> have saved me a week of work, and (as it turns out) the list several
> 10's of K of messages talking about the whole thing.

I don't recall your original suggestion.  It was buried in a 10kb email that
could have been stated in 2 sentences.  I stopped reading after the first
couple pages.

> So far, though, you say that (in some future situation which doesn't
> even work yet) this should be allowed.  Meanwhile, people right now
> have been screwed by the current situation.  Seems to me that you
> should make the common mistake difficult, at the risk of making the
> unlikely future action require one additional keystroke.

This is the very first time I've ever heard of someone assigning multiple
capture cards in the setup program to the same physical device.

The "common" error at that stage of setup is assigning the wrong type of card.
Lots of people say their ivtv card is using the bttv drivers.

>     And I've gotten confirmation from a couple dozen people that you're off
> your rocker.  Goes both ways.
>
> Sure does.  Let's trade more numbers.  It's fun.
>
>     Sure, there are useability problems.
>
> It's good to hear some public acknowledgment of that.
>
>                                         Your attitude is getting in the way of
>     me responding to them, or even caring about what you're bringing up.
> If you want to fix them, learn how to act on a public mailing list.
>
> Fine.  Don't publicly insult people if you want to appear reasonable.
> Yet every single piece of mail you've sent me so far as been insulting.

I believe you started off this thread by this:

"How could this happen?  Because mythtv-setup is the absolute -mother-
of all usability screwups."  and you continued in that vein.

Considering that I *wrote* much of mythtv-setup, do you think that that's any
way to make me think you're _not_ just your standard slashdot troll?

>                                                                 Learn how to
>     reply to emails properly - your quoting is horrendous.
>
> Please explain.

That's funny.  Look at your emails in the pipermail archives.  Can you tell
who wrote what?  It's rather difficult.  Hell, just look at the completely
random amount of indentation you've put in this reply.  You reset the subject
line every email, too.

>                                                           Learn how to state a
>     problem _succinctly_.  Do that, and everybody'll get along just fine.
>
> The succint statements got flamey responses.

The 'flamey' statements got 'flamey' responses.  The long ones didn't get any,
because I, at least, didn't bother to read them.

Isaac