On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 08:32:41AM +1000, ffrr wrote:
> I am fairly new to converting video, so I have been trying to discover
> the best way to convert my recordings (PAL mpeg-TS from a DVB-T card) to
> a small format suitable for my Palm Tx PDA.
>
> Firstly, I have read that divx is a popular format and the TCPMP player
> on the palm will play it.  Is xvid the same thing? What's the
> difference?  Any other suggestions for a target format?
>
> OK, so I have experimented with nuvexport.  Unfortunately, under
> Knoppmyth R5A22, nuvexport with ffmpeg seems to be broken, so I tried it
> with --transcode and chose xvid format and a screen width of 240 (a
> suggestion as a reasonable compromise in quality and size).   The show I
> am converting was 3.9GB in size.  The problem is, on my mythbox, which
> is only a 800MHz celeron, it has been over 12 hours, the target file is
> 200MB and it's still not finished !

Try mencoder with a command line something like this:

mencoder -o foo.avi \
         -ovc lavc \
         -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v2:vbitrate=256 \
         -vop scale=240:180 \
         -srate 32000 \
         -oac mp3lame \
         -lameopts cbr:br=32:mode=3 \
         foo.nuv

This plays in Windows Media Player with the stock codecs and should be of
sufficient quality for handheld viewing.  (I was using it to watch stuff on
my notebook while on the road last summer; the low bitrate made shows
downloadable in a reasonable amount of time.)  I'd think that something that
plays DivX could play this too.  I'd try it on my Tungsten T just to make
sure, but it seems to have gone into hiding. :-(

Encoding one hour of video this way takes 11-12 minutes on an Athlon XP
3000+.  Your Celery is going to be slower, but I'd think it would still be
nowhere near 12+ hours.  You'll probably get somewhere around one hour, or
maybe a little longer, for one hour of video.

  _/_
 / v \ Scott Alfter