I'm trying to get a Mythtv frontend/backend server up and running on a P4
2.8 GHz box with 1 GB RAM and Nvidia Geforce 6800. HDTV over firewire is
what I'm having trouble with. I can now reliably connect to the cable box
and get HDTV streams using test-mpeg2 and in Mythtv itself, however I've
been completely unsuccessful at solving my audio stuttering problem. I've
tried every combination of settings and every little suggestion I could find
on the internet and this list yet I still get the following errors:

2005-11-24 04:33:52.663 audio waiting for buffer to fill: have 2048 want
4096

or

2005-11-24 04:33:54.567 WriteAudio: Preparing 4096 bytes (1024 frames)
2005-11-24 04:33:54.568 WriteAudio: buffer underrun

I was having the same problem. I had been running mythfrontend as root and out of desperation I switched to running as a normal user but running suid root, with mythfrontend owned by root.  Suddenly the stuttering went away.  I can't imagine why.

-rwsr-sr-x  1 root mythtv 1272808 Nov 27 13:54 /usr/bin/mythfrontend*

I still have to press pause for a few seconds after liveTv starts up in order to get smooth playback though.

running XVMC helps but I get warnings from mythfrontend that it's not working.  So I'm confused but It does work, if a little bit clunky.

-todd