if you are using a actual distribution, you may not have a static dev directory, this directory is created every time on boot via udev.

you have to look at /etc/udev/permison.rules or so...

----- Original Message ----- From: "ffrr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users@mythtv.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 9:59 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Why does /dev/dvb reset permisions on boot?

Weston, Toby wrote:

Hi folks,

Probably an obvious question (bit of Linux newbie here I'm afraid) but why
would the permissions on my dvb devices reset to allow just root access each
time I reboot? Myth can't access them as the 'mythtv' user doesn't have
write permission but I change this using chmod... it just can't retain the
change...

After I got DVB working, the DVB devices (in /dev/dvb/adapter0/*) had no permissions so only root could see them. The fix was to add

chmod 666 /dev/dvb/adapter0/*

to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

which resets them to something sensible each reboot.