I recently replaced my home theatre reciever with one that has digital inputs (old one was 5.1 analog), 2 coax and 1 optical. Naturally I would like to get the best sound from my HD-MythTV box, (that might be the reason I bought the new reciever but don't tell that to my wife), so I removed the SB Live! 5.1 (analog) sound card that i had installed, went into the BIOS settings and enabled the onboard soundcard that has a SPDIF coax connector. When I rebooted, KDE told me that it could not find the sound card, So I went under System Settings - Soundcard Detection, and it foud it rightaway. Cool. ( I have the line out from the mother board connected to my TV and the Coax connected to my reciever) Sound comes out of the Tv but not the reciever. I go into Myth Frontend, and select a HD recording to play, Again sound out of the TV but not the reciever. I then gointo settings and switch between the 3 settings available to me, and when i try to play a HD recording Myth informs me that it cannot find the sound card. Well at this time i figure that the ALSA mixer has muted the SPDIF connector so I try to open up alsamixer and get the following error message: alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

I tried to google that, but I only found people who had the same error message, not what they had done to fix it. I tried looking in my /etc/modprob.conf file:

alias eth0 sk98lin
options snd-emu10k1 index=0
remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
}; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1
alias char-major-81 cx8800
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
# nvidia kernel module
alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-7174
alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-7174
options snd-intel8x0 index=1
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 1 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0

and I am not sure what to do with it. The options snd-intel8x0 index=1 line is refering to my newly detected sound caard, and the emu10k1 is the old one.

Also if I type aplay -l, the following is displayed:

card 1: ICH5 [Intel ICH5], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH5]
 Subdevices: 1/1
 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: ICH5 [Intel ICH5], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel ICH5 - IEC958]
 Subdevices: 1/1
 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I am at a loss for what to do. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give as much information as possible. -Mat