Torbjörn Jansson wrote:

2005/11/21, Raphael Pooser <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>:

    It seems that the only way you can stream things is if you use mythweb
    or if you set up video lan to stream things on the host machine
    and then
    receive it on your windows machine, is that right?  So, using
    dsmyth and
    then just clicking on a file on windows explorer from a shared
    directory
    on a mythtv machine is totally different.  I'm asking because
    right now
    when I view video on my windows machine it stutters at times and
    plays
    with low framerate.  The sound continues on at normal speed and the
    video completely goes out of sync in a very short time.  It seems that
    my video files (about 8000Kbits/sec for rtjpeg, 3000Kbps for
    mpeg4) are
    taking too much bandwidth as windows is treating them as if they were
    local files and it can't get the data off the myth machine fast
    enough,
    since the myth machine is on 802.11g wireless.  Even then 8000kbps
    shouldn't be enough to cause any problems though so I don't fully
    understand it.  Lastly, VLS cannot play rtjpeg yet it seems, even with
    the dsmyth filters installed, while windows media player can.  Does
    anyone have a good player suggestion they use for this stuff?
    Raphael

asuming its the network speed that is your problem, if you want to experiment a little there is one or two thing you coud try.

in the configuration program for the dsmyth filters, there is a checkbox called something like "always open files from backend" (can't remeber exactly what i named it), make sure that box is checked. now, when you open a nuv file (nupplevideo type, not mpeg) from a samba share, the file will be streamed from the backend instead (transparent to the mediaplayer).
this should use less bandwidth than playing it directly from samba share.

if you still have problems, you can try to increase the size of the local ringbuffer in the dsmyth config program, maybe somewere around 500Mb to 1gb or something like that (make sure you have enough diskspace for it). when you start playback hit pause and wait a while for the ringbuffer to fill up, then resume playback and check if there is any difference.

yeah, both good suggestions.
As I just recently upgraded my windows machine and reinstalled windows and then dsmyth, I cannot try these yet because now any player will crash when trying to play nuv files! I suspected the open from backend would help, and maybe transcoding to mpeg4 with smaller file sizes. The crashing problem is a windows thing, so once I solve that I will retest it. thanks
Raphael