Does anyone have any ideas which might explain the flicker? I realize that "flicker" is hard to describe.

When you say flicker, do you mean the playback stutters or pauses?

The playback doesn't stutter or pause.  What I see are white lines shooting across the
image.  The lines are broken up.  Best I can describe it as small white checker boxes
randomly shooting across the screen.  You can see the image clearly, the white
checkerboxes are just very distracting.  It's almost like what one would call
"static" on an analog TV signal.

I've tried all the version of the sis_drv.o I could find, they all have the
same behavior.

Jim