Michael Haan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> says:
> Ok, so I'm not sure what the consensus is.  My distro is FC4, kernel is
> 2.6.14 from ATrpms.  My main partition is ext3 everything else is on
> ReiserFS/RAID device.  So, is the suggestion for me to rebuild my kernel, or
> remake the RAID FS using XFS or JFS, or some combination of the two?

Conventional Wisdom Watch (with apologies to Newsweek)

Rebuild kernel      <>    Good: Old 8K stack option restores stability to
                          multiple filesystem layers. Bad: You'd
                          better know how to manually roll your own
                          kernel or at the least edit and rebuild
                          source RPMs.
ReiserFS            V     Many people swear by it, but many others
                          swear at it, especially when dealing with
                          gigabyte-sized files of the kind MythTV
                          produces. Why take the chance?
XFS                 ^     Balanced read/write performance. But
                          is it true that the kernel maintainers
                          dislike it?
JFS                 ^     Back by full faith and credit of one of the
                          largest IT companies on Earth. Writes not quite
                          as good as reads, though.
Ext3                <>    Reliable, rock-solid, battle-proven, and no
                          hours-lonk fsck. But slow, slow, slow, slow.
LVM2                ^     Flexibility makes extending or modifying
                          partitions easy. But be prepared for the
                          performance hit.

--
Yeechang Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | +1 650 776 7763 | San Francisco CA US