I have no problems opening the .nuv files when I mount the TV recording with Samba. (I.E., I installed samba on my mythbackend box, then mount the TV directory on my Windows computer, and open the files using VLC.) The filenames are pretty cryptic, but if you see what you want to watch in mythweb, you can mouse over the link, look at the filename, and then open that one in VLC.

Sometimes vlc won't open any files at all.  This problem comes and
goes.  Clicking the link in mythweb opens vlc which briefly shows the
correct filename in the status bar, but it never plays the video nor
displays any sort of error.  When it's in this mood I'm unable to play
any files.  On another day it will work perfectly.  I have two windows
machines -  a desktop and a laptop and both exhibit the same
behaviour.

My guess is that it's an issue with apache. Maybe a commercial flagging or transcoding job is screwing with the webserver... I've never had a problem mounting the drive.