On 1/26/06, jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I spent most of last night looking through the list archive and googling
but still can't make headway with my setup.  If I missed something please
feel free to tell me to RTFM, as long as you point me to the FM.

I'm setting up 0.18.2 on FC4 using an Nvidia 5200-based card and an
HD3000 with an OTA antenna.  The system is an Athlon 1700+ with 512MB of
RAM and the latest FC4 kernel and nvidia drivers.

I followed Jarod's FC how-to and I have myth installed and configured but
a couple of things are still wrong.  After a reboot I have to manually
modprobe cx88-dvb then chmod /dev/dvb/adapter0/* so that the mythtv user
can read the video card.  (The latest HD3000 firmware is being loaded.)
Once I do that, if I tell myth that the card is a standard v4l it'll pull
in stations but the quality is far worse than with a TV hooked up to the
same line.  It won't let me do a channel scan when set as a standard v4l
card and the audio is often out of sync with the video.

get the pchdtv-extra from pchdtv.com.  it modifies modprobe.conf and adds udev support.

When I set the capture card type as dvb it'll do a channel scan and find
plenty of channels and they do come in very clearly, but they stutter a
lot even though the CPU load is only about .75 and there is at least 100MB
of free RAM. But it doesn't find most of the standard channels that come
in (albeit fuzzy) in V4L.  Also, the audio that comes through the HD3000
when in V4L mode isn't there in DVB mode.  No TV audio comes out of the
sound card, a chaintech 7.1, though Linux is able to use it just fine.
It's possible that myth is sending the audio to the S/PDIF port but I
haven't had a chance to check that yet.

dvb is for digital tv, while v4l is for analog tv.  i believe hd-3000 in v4l mode uses line-in for the audio.  but in dvb mode, the audio should be embeded in the stream.

and it seems a lot of people are having problem with hd-3000 since the dvb driver was included in the kernel.  it used to work fine for me when i had to compile the dvb driver for the 2.6.11 FC3 kernel.

Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated.

--
-Jason

DS