I had a problem like this - it ended up being something like what Mike
said. The automatic mythfilldatabase job was being run as the root
user, but the configuration file for for my xml grabber (xml_grab_au)
was in /home/mythtv/.xmlttv/tv_grab_au.conf. So the mythfilldatabase
being run as root would just never work.

The solution for me, was to use the --graboptions parameter thing for
mythfilldatabase to pass the configuration file parameter to my
tv_grab_au script.

In mythtv setup (I beleive this is done via the frontend some where),
I changed the bit where you specify your mythfilldatabase command from
"mythfilldatabase" to "mythfilldatabase - (--graboptions
"--config-file /home/mythtv/.xmltv/tv_grab_au.conf")".

Worked an absolute treat.