> > But aside from that, I'm not doing XvMC on the onboard video.  The CPU
> > is maxed.  Would that be the case if the CPU was waiting for the bus
> > to be free?
>
> Hmm, I'm afraid I don't have an answer to that.  The first thing I'd do is
> use "top" to check CPU load and find out which programs are using the most.
> I'd also do a "ps aux" to view all running processes, identify those that are
> not needed, and prevent them from loading.  Also check loaded modules and
> remove those that are not necessary.  Lastly, I'd custom compile my own
> kernel.
>
> The easiest way to accomplish this is with a base install of a certain
> distribution.  Lets take Debian, as an example.  Download and burn the
> NetInstall CD and perform the installation.  Towards the end of the install,
> you're given a choice as to whether the PC is to be an e-mail server, DNS
> server, desktop, web server, etc..  Cancle out of that and you have a fairly
> clean base system with very few unwanted services running in the background.
> Build
>
> Most of what I stated here will free up more memory than it would CPU cycles,
> but those services that are running in the background will use some CPU
> cycles from time to time.  And, from what I've read from your posts, you're
> almost there, and you just need to free up a few more CPU cycles to prevent
> it from being fully taxed.  Stopping some services via their init.d scripts
> may get you there.
>
> - Ken

I've been running top, and CPU occasionally is a couple of percent
when the system is idle, but that's all.  I'm starting to think about
a carefully compiled kernel, that could help.  I'm running Fedora, and
although I've only compiled kernels under Debian before, I don't
expect it should be much trouble.  Thanks for the suggestions.

-Jerry