Ross,

Answers inline below.

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Minkov, Ross wrote:

Short Question: Where is the nagios sbin directory if you installed from
RPM?

Run the rpm query command against the nagios package to find out:

# rpm -ql nagios|grep sbin
/usr/sbin/nagios
/usr/sbin/p1.pl

Long Story:
I just installed Nagios 2.0 (stable) on a FC4 system with SElinux
enabled. I used the fc3 RPMs from http://dag.wieers.com/packages/nagios/
(dag doesn't have the FC4 RPMs out there yet):

nagios-2.0-2.1.fc3.rf.i386

Also installed nagios-plugins-1.4.1-1.1.fc3.rf.i386 from
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/nagios-plugins/.

I use the dag repository myself. Note, however, that Nagios has been included in the FC distro so you could install the official FC package using apt-get, yum, or even up2date, e.g.:

# up2date nagios

Seems to be ok, except I had to --nodep the installation of the plugins
and add "Ignore { nagios-plugins };" to my apt.conf file (yes, I'm still
using apt)... The reason was that it was complaining about Perl
Net-SNMP, but I already had it installed (net-snmp-perl)...

Then I copied my config files from an older server I had (with Nagios
1.2), changed a few things to comply with the new syntax and tried to
get the web interface configured.

This is undoubtedly where your problem is. Copying the old config files won't get you very far. I would suggest running nagios in flight check mode as follows until you get 0 errors. You may need to iterate a few times but this is the best way to troubleshoot a bad config.

# nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg