Hi Pam

In Chicago, there are 3 steps to legally doing business .

1st. Registering your name (DBA~Doing Business As or AKA) its for you to assume
you legal business name.

2nd. Apply for a chicago business license

3rd. Register your business with the state.

Registering you business name proves you are legitimate, you are a legal
business entity, and it protects your name in your state.

Shawn