The girl I used to work for does them out of her home.  She has been for
about 2 years now (she has 3 kids ages 5, 3 1/2 and 1).  The only thing is,
if she has a client when her husband isn't home she has to find a sitter.  I
did 2 clients at home in my basement.  i didn't really like it.  i like have
work at work and home at home.  The owner of my salon is really great.
Since I was preggo during the slow months, she suggested that i work the
desk to pay for my maternity leave.  It helpd me out and she didn't have to
pay for reception on wed.  If I got pregnent again I don't know if she would
do it again but it was nice this time.  I suggest start saving now so you
can take as much time as you need.  I only wanted to take 6 weeks but ended
up taking 7 due to post partum depression.  And think about what you want
your hours to be when or if you come back.  i cut my hours from 36 down to
about 15 / week.  It's nice to get a break from her every other day.  i
think we both need it.  All I have to say is I never baby-sat or would go
with in a 3 foot radius of a baby let alone a kid.  Then my niece was born
and she warmed me up to "babies", (well just her, I still don't like to hold
other babies except mine of course).  I'm still not into the kid thing, but
I'll take that challenge as it comes.

Good luck
Cira